Zittau

 

Zittau is a large district town in the district of Görlitz in the south-east of Saxony.

It is the gateway to the border triangle of Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany. It is considered the gateway to the Zittau Mountains, a mountain formation on the border with the Czech Republic.

With the Slavic foundation it once belonged to Bohemia. In 1255 it received the town charter and under the Bohemian king Wenceslas II in 1287 further special privileges. It was repeatedly exchanged between neighbouring kingdoms. In 1346 Zittau became a member of the "Oberlausitzer Sechs-Städtebund" and received the second name "Die Reiche". 

Richly decorated is also the coat of arms of Zittau, the pride of this city. It is a magnificent coat of arms.

In 1620 it was conquered by the Saxon Elector John George the 1st. In the following wars it was completely destroyed by Swedish and Austrian troops.

With the 19th century began its rise in the region, as an official capital. In 1905 it became the garrison town of the Saxon infantry. Its military history as a training centre for officers continued until the end of the GDR in 1989/90.

At the beginning of the 20th century it was one of the richest cities in Saxony, due to the landed property and the connected forests. It was the centre of Upper Lusatian weaving mills and spinning mills. The car industry had its seat with the ROBUR-Werke, a small truck (LO) with a payload of max. 2.5 tons and minibuses. This started from the textile machinery industry in 1888 over motorcycles of the brand "Phenomen" in 1900. In 1995 the factory was liquidated.

Zittau's connection to traffic began with the expansion of Saxony's road and railway network in 1848. It was the region's traffic hub. This also includes the connection with a narrow-gauge railway from Zittau to Oybin.

So the Gran Turismo on the Lane B96 in the city ring of Zittau to the north can begin!

But before that, short or long...

  Into the mountains

%d bloggers like that: